Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Training our Malamute

Ever since our Malamute "Lexis" was a pup she hasn't liked when people purse or pucker their lips. The first time my husband did it around her she took off running down the hallway in our house like she was scared to death. We haven't been able to figure out why. I should do some research on Malamutes and see if it's a reaction to something the mother does around them when they are pups. We started buying dried Duck treats for her and found that she REALLY loved them. My husband had been telling our granddaughters that they were really good and actually would be a great (people) trail snack for when we're out hiking or for them to put in their pockets when they're skiing. They aren't sold on it and think it's not for them. So when we discovered how much Lexis loved these treats we thought aha here's our chance to train her to not be frightened when people pucker their lips. My husband would put the treat in his mouth and pucker and she would have to take it from him to get it. It took 10 years to figure out how to get her to not be quite so frightened. You can see in this video we made for our granddaughters (because they can't believe that he would eat her doggie treats), that she is still a bit apprehensive about taking it from his mouth. So here's proof that they are tasty to man and beast! Enjoy my goofy husband & our sweet "Lexis"-


Yes, I took a break from my blog, I'm regularly trying to decide if the blogging world is for me. Luckily Blogger gives me 90 days to make up my mind before it's gone for ever.  So here I am again, for who knows how long.................

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.