Thursday, March 20, 2014

Pine and Cedar shuttle Trailblazer hike

16 Trailblazers joined together to hike on this first day of spring "Tra La".


We planned on hiking from the Pine and Cedar trailhead and then to finish at the Arroyo trailhead parking lot. We arranged for the cars and drivers to be at the appropriate ends and off we went.
Heading Up for a very long time - 


It had been 3 weeks since I'd gone on a Trailblazer hike. I've been tending our 3 granddaughters for my daughter and her husband. Once segment of time was for the two of them to get away on a work/play vacation, and the second time I stayed with the girls was while they went to stay with my son in law's mom. She had been recently diagnosed with cancer and her first round of chemo left her feeling pretty rough. 
So after a long absence, I was thoroughly enjoying my time today with these fun kindred spirits of the trails.
We were so surprised to see snow beside the trail, it had been chilly but I didn't expect to see any today.


This would definitely NOT be our lunch spot!


Pat, our fearless leader managed to find just the right place at Cedar lake for a sunny lunch.


Our view of Cedar lake -


There were some twist and turns at the end of our hike that made it interesting, but some tales just don't need to be told ;-)
Arroyo park was just gorgeous as we headed out with the sun's "spring" light leading our way.


As I was walking up these last steps towards the parking lot, I looked at my phone to get today's distance from my tracking app I saw that I had a several texts on my notifications, so I checked to see if they were messages that I needed respond to right away.While I'm hiking I turn off all my sounds (except my gps distance audio) so my phone won't be so noisy while we're out, then I usually check my messages when I'm done. My daughter had been trying to get a hold of me to let me know her mother in law had died today.
A jolt of reality to my spring filled carefree mind. 
I was instantly so glad that I had been able to help them last weekend, so my son in law could spend one last weekend with his mom. Not knowing this would be their last time together.
So Lois on this day, while my thoughts are still at this glorious place, I dedicate this blog post to you, may you rest in peace as you are now forever free from pain. You were a lovely, caring person and you will be greatly missed.

Endomondo stats:
8.50 total miles hiked
100 Min. altitude
1864 Max. altitude
2840 Total ascent
2942 Total descent



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.