Thursday, July 17, 2014

Sauk Mtn. Trailblazer hike


19 of us headed for Rockport and the Sauk Mtn. road to begin our hike today. Last year we began our hike with a chilly foggy start. You can read about last years hike HERE



Sauk Mtn. - the hills are alive with the sound of music! 
This is what I was thinking as we hiked up the switchbacks through the wonderful wildflowers in full bloom.





We stopped at the same knoll as last year for lunch, some staying together to visit and some including myself sought out a place of solitude to enjoy the spectacular views and savor them as we ate.


3 of us (myself, Penny and Owen) wanted to go on and hike to the summit. The snow was slushy and easy to walk in, I borrowed Jean's Yaktrax just in case the footing became slippery. Thanks Jean!

Our views of Mt. Baker and the Twin sisters & Sauk lake from the top -



Owen & Penny
Me!
Owen and his friend!
Looking back at the knoll across the snowfield we crossed to get to the top.

the knoll is in the farthest left grouping of taller trees
This was the first hike for us in the high country this summer & I did not want to leave this beautiful place. My heart is definitely still there as I sit at home writing this post.


Endomondo stats:
Total miles hiked (to the top) - 4.04
Min. altitude - 3736
Max. altitude - 5506
Total ascent -1770
Total descent -1096


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.