Thursday, September 24, 2015

Watson lake Trailblazer hike

An overcast sky met us at the Senior Center for our long (nearly 2 hour) drive for today's hike. We were driving down to Hwy 20 and the Baker lake area from Bellingham. I am always surprised when we get a good number of people to show up for these "long drive" hikes - 13 today!
We drove "up" an awesome gravel road to the trailhead parking lot. Nearly at the top I asked "Pat" if he would stop the car so I could get this photo of Mt. Baker with Baker lake below. The sky was looking particularly ominous.

There is an outhouse and a good sized parking lot at the end of the road, which is the trailhead.

We signed in and were off.

I loved all of the boardwalks trails, besides the view these were a highlight for me.


Just before the we dropped down to the lakes we entered the Noisy - Diobsud 
Wilderness area.

Our first view of upper and lower Watson lakes.

We hiked past the first lake and had lunch at the upper lake. 
What a view!


On the way out one of our hikers struggled on the uphills, so we decided to take turns carrying his pack. I volunteered first. Since I started training for my next Spartan race September 1st, I jumped at the chance to get in more of a workout. 
Bonus! 

(Thanks to Joe for taking the photo above and below)

The overcast skies continued throughout the day and we had a light shower just as we were finishing and reached the cars, but it didn't last very long.
I hadn't done this hike before and I loved every bit of it. 
It's definitely on my - "go back and do" list.

Endomondo Stats:
Total miles hiked - 5 miles
Total ascent - 1522 feet
Total descent - 1369 feet
Maximum altitude -- 4864 feet
Minimum altitude - 4176 feet


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.