Thursday, February 18, 2016

Ebey's landing Trailblazer hike

As I laid my head on my pillow last night and listened to the pounding rain on the roof, I wondered what kind of weather we would have for our hike to Whidbey Island. I always pack for whatever kind of weather we may have, just so I won't get caught without and end up freezing or soaked to the skin ;-). Whidbey Island is usually kind to us and we can have a lower chance of rain there than here in Bellingham where we begin our long carpool ride. 
13 of us met at the Senior Center, I checked my blog postings and saw that last year on February 26, 2015 we also had 13. You can read about that day's hike HERE. In that post I put in photos of the historical buildings in the area, and since I'd already written about that, I skipped it in today's post.
The skies did lighten up and the day looked to be grand, but when we got out of the cars we realized that there was a brisk wind blowing and it was chilly. Since I pack everything including the kitchen sink. I quickly put on my Buff headband, windbreaker and gloves. In the photo below you can see the large tree and it's top is not standing straight up, but curled over in the wind.

As I stated previously there are historic buildings on the site, this is the sign leading to them.

We walked from the cemetery near Coupeville towards the bluff, where we would join the loop trail.
I had the photo below taken of me to show how windy it is, my pant leg has ballooned out from a gust. 
I also had this photo taken, since this is the last hike I will take as a 61 year old with the Trailblazers. On our next hike I will be Social Security/Lifetime National park pass eligible - YAY!!

We hiked along the bluff and then down to the beach.

There is a fresh water lagoon just before the beach. On a calm day the lagoon is a nice place for birding. We did see one lone Heron, a few Sandpipers and some Eagles playing in the wind currents.

We stopped when we got to the beach for lunch. The photo below is a panorama of the view looking from the south to the north. Click on the picture to enlarge it.

After lunch we headed down the beach. The tide was up a bit, so we walked close to the driftwood and watched for the odd high wave that wanted to take a stab at getting our boots wet. If you enlarge the photo below, you will see some of our group just a ways back in the distance.
I tried to spy an agate as we walked along, but no luck.

A little creek seems to flow right into the restroom/picnic area.

After quick trips to the restroom, we headed back up to the bluff to make our way to the cars. 
The wind was still blowing terrifically. 
I loved it.
Looking north towards the bluff trail.

Looking south from where we had come.

As we were nearing the cemetery I spied these violets in bloom. 

What a wonderful clear, sparkly day we had on Ebey's landing. 
Always one of my favorite hikes.

I went back and looked at the days wind observations for Coupeville for while we were hiking, the wind gust speeds were 30 to 37 mph, and sustained in the 20's. 
Good thing it was 50 degrees and dry.
Fun!!

Endomondo stats:
total miles hiked - 5.35 miles
minimum altitude - minus 25 feet?
Maximum altitude - 252 feet
total ascent - 325 feet
total descent - 399 feet


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.