Thursday, March 1, 2018

Tursi Trail and beyond hike

Today's hike found us on Fidalgo Island, we started at the Tursi trail parking lot. It's a 1/2 mile walk along the road to the trailhead.

The parking lot has a good view of Mt. Erie.


We had only gone a few yards up the trail when my husband spied a porcupine. I tried to get a photo of him, but he was walking away from us by the time I got my camera out. He blends in with the environment, but I think you should be able to pick him out in the collage I made.

My moment of Zen, near the cave entrance.

We walked past the old cabin and the quarry.

We left the Tursi trail and headed up the Big Cedar trail.


We came off the trail and hiked on the Fidalgo Bay road for about 1/2 mile to the Rosario Beach road.

We stopped at Rosario for lunch, and basked in the warmth of the sun.

"FLOWERS"!!!

We then hiked around the point before heading to Bowman Bay.



Our PNW icon ❤.

A Madrona tree with a view looking towards Bowman Bay.

We then hiked around Lighthouse point.

Bowman Bay

Looking towards the Deception pass bridge.

In the photo below there are kelp beds near the shore. We saw one Otter, but it didn't stay long. 

We decided to follow the dotted  . . . . trail section of the map after we were about halfway around the point. It's hard to see my husband in the photo below, he's behind the leafy branch in the center of the photo. He was "up" the rooted trail above me.

There was a lot of scrambling up and down rocks and roots till we felt like it was time to get away from the rock cliff section of the point and join the "civilized" section of the trail.
It was definitely an adventure to follow the dotted route as far as we could, but truth be told I was glad when we spotted the "real" trail.  
We rejoined the Tursi trail at Pass Lake.

The Ginnett trail, 

and then it was time to head back down the hill to our car.
We got a late start and it was nearly 6:00 when we were done hiking. There was a nice pink tinge in the sky (and on us, we were a bit sun/wind burned) when we finished, but it was NOT dark. Yay!!

Garmin stats:
total miles hiked - 11.13 miles
total ascent - 2759 feet

"Relive" video of our route.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.