Sunday, April 10, 2011

Whidbey Island half marathon results




 Wow, didn't know if it was going to be a go or not. Trained hard, ran lots of long weekend runs and then...stomach flu Friday am. Yuck, I almost cried thinking I wouldn't be able to do the run after all of the hard work I'd put in. Thankfully by about 4 pm I started feeling well again, so I pushed the electrolytes in the evening and all day Saturday. My husband and I agreed that he would go on without me if I wanted to bail at about the 6 1/2 mile mark where the Windjammer park is. The run comes back and finishes there.
Today I woke up feeling great so we got up at 5:30 am and drove to Oak Harbor for the 8 am start. When we got to Oak Harbor it was overcast and very windy. When I got home I checked out the wind at http://www.intellicast.com/ and here's the gusts from 7:56 am to 10:56 am. The gusts ranged between 28 and 40 miles an hour. No wonder I felt like I was running against a wall when we hit the wind head on!
Thankfully I didn't feel any ill effects (pun intended) from Friday, and with being sick and the wind and a pretty hilly course we still ran 1 min. and 58 seconds faster than our Seattle half marathon time last November.
By my watch (the results weren't up at the site when I posted this) - I started and stopped it on the chip mats, so it should be close, was 2 hours 54 minutes and 5 seconds. *Added note after posting, our official chip time was 2:54:15! It was great to be back, the last time I did this event I walked it with my dad 2 years ago. I weighed 187 lbs. then.

me and my dad finishing Whidbey Island half marathon (walking) 2009

Yes, I'm still revelling in my weight loss glory and the fun of being able to do
the things that I love again and feeling great doing them!

(see post about my 3 year weight loss goal here:

It was also nice running the whole thing with my husband this year and finishing with him!
Alas not one picture of us running together :-(


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.