Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Bright lights in times of tragedy

A Raven (Ray Lewis - Baltimore Raven football player) a Panther (Reggie Howard - Carolina Panther football player) & an Elephant!

In the midst of trying times it is so wonderful to see when people step up and help others in their times of need -

A few months ago I did a post about the tragedy of LaShandra Armstrong. Read it here

I was so saddened by her story that day, that she felt that was what she needed to do and that she took the lives of three of her small children at the same time. One of her children managed to escape. I've wondered how he is and how he is surviving with this in his past. I was so glad I happened to be watching the "Today" show this morning and they did a follow up to his story. Read about it here . It tells of how Ray Lewis (I know he has a past that is highly debated, but this is a different story) & Reggie Howard have embraced 10 year old La'Shaun Armstrong as their brother. They want to mentor him and provide emotional & financial support. They talked about an opportunity to help with a college fund for the young man.

Another story that's been in the news is the devastation of the Joplin tornado. I thought it was great that a circus that had been scheduled to do a show used the elephants to help them move the large objects that needed to be moved. In the video there is a controversy of opinions about if this is exploitation of the elephants or a ploy for free advertisement for the circus, but it seems the reaction of those from Joplin is just "thank you", See video here

I'm thankful as well that these "bright lights" have stepped up to help make these people lives a little brighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.