Thursday, January 29, 2015

Cub/Smith Creek Trailblazer hike

14 of us headed "up" the trail to the power lines above Lake Whatcom. The parking lot for this hike is above the North Lake Whatcom trailhead lot. The hike really is on the Smith Creek trail, but our hiking group calls it Cub Creek. The last time we did this hike we stopped early because it was NOT a nice day. Today was just the opposite, what a glorious day we had for our hike. 
The sun peaking through the forest was a welcome sight.


I love to look at trees and this forest gave me some wonderful pictures.


I thought the tree below looked like a Brontosaurus (?).


and this one below, like some kind of forest monster. See his eye and mouth?


The trail crisscrosses roads and power lines, so our view had some power lines in it, but wow what a view. The sun was even warm while we ate. 
Wonderful!


After lunch we headed "down", yes this trail is definitely all up and all down.




I played with my camera plus app "macro" setting on our hike today. I found these wonderful little plants beside me while I ate, they were only about a half inch tall. 
Below is the normal camera view -


and here's the macro view.


I also took a macro picture of some seed pods on a plant.


I think the two pictures below are my favorite of the day. The first picture is of the stump with small mushroom growing up it. The second picture is a macro of one of the mushrooms.



Endomondo stats:
Total miles hiked - 5.8
Minimum altitude - 343 feet
Maximum altitude - 2022 feet
Total ascent - 1645 feet
Total descent - 1589 feet


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.