Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Spartan Race training

A couple of weeks ago I posted that I had signed up for my first Spartan Race. I already have a consistent exercise schedule going on, I hike with the Senior Trailblazers every Thursday and on the other days I run & do some exercises at home. Even though I'm a consistently active person I still felt like I was going to be sick when I clicked on the finish the transaction and paid my entry. I had watched my daughter and son in law compete in the Pac West Spartan Sprint Race, in Washougal, Wa. last August so I have a fair idea of what's in store for me. 
 I'll be doing the Montana Sprint
There are 3 levels of Spartan racing: 
Sprint 
Super 
Beast
Each level has it's own distance & number of obstacles to be completed. A "Trifecta" is when a Sprint, Super & Sprint are all completed in one calendar year.


 If you click on the photo below to expand it you will see that some of the obstacles are classified, some of the details are left out :-) to be discovered as they were on the course. All Spartan Races are this way, they leave some parts a mystery. The course below was for the Pac West Spartan race in Washougal, Wa. 


To up my training for the Montana Sprint I follow the Spartan Workout of the day or WOD. Here is a screenshot of what I did today. I'm following the workouts one day delayed so that it will work out with my existing hiking/running days.


I'm really lacking in upper body strength, but I'm really enjoying the workouts. In a Spartan Race each non completed or skipped obstacle has a 30 BURPEE (or squat thrust) penalty. So I'm trying to do burpees "often" throughout the day as well. Every day is a new adventure in training for me, who knew when I was watching that race last August that I would be signed up for one the following May!
Aroo.....






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.