Monday, April 20, 2015

Spartan Sprint Practice day

Time to do a simulated Spartan Sprint race. 
Since it's less than 3 weeks away I thought I should do a practice run of the Montana Spartan Sprint event, so I can get a general feel for what I'll be going through.
Sunday "fun day" became "Spartan Sprint" day.
Our daughter and son in law are Spartan competitors and they have built Spartan Obstacles in their yard to help with their training. Yay!
Our son in law "Brion" did a great job of getting their place ready for the day. He made up sheets with all of the obstacles we would be doing, so we could check them off and keep track of the number of penalty burpees we did. Since this was just a practice run, I only did 5 burpees per missed obstacle, instead of the required 30. The Sprint distance can be anywhere from 3 to 5 miles and 15 to 20 obstacles. They also added fun touches to the day to make it feel more like the real thing.
They had Spartan tape along our starting trail, the emblem on the hay bales and a past race headband for me to wear!


Some of the obstacles we did would simulate an obstacle but some of them were pretty much what we would have to do. Overall I felt pretty good about what I was able to do. If I were to lose 30 lbs. and get more upper body strength that would be really helpful, but I have to go with how I am now. At least I know I'm heading in the right direction. 
Here's some photos of the day -

Rock wall
Cargo net
Cargo net
Balance
Balance
Running and more running
Lateral rope
Slack line with support rope
Tire flip
Tire flip
Tire flip
Spear throw
Under & through 8' wall
Over 8" wall
Sand bag carry/bucket carry
The ever present BURPEE practice

 

Chest has to touch the ground & the push up

Jump off the ground & clap over head to finish burpee
Bearcrawl
Before & After group photos.



Our course was 4.2 miles and 15 obstacles.
 I declined the rope climb, I'm going to skip it in the race & just go right to the penalty BURPEE zone. 
I fell off of the balance areas & rock/traverse wall & missed the spear throw.
Not too bad for my first simulated event.
AROOO!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.