Thursday, October 22, 2015

Aldergrove Park BC Trailblazer hike

Today the group 2 Senior Trailblazers start their winter schedule. We'll meet 1 hour later at the Bellingham Senior Activity center
Yay! 

I tried something different today. 
Since our group hike today would be heading into British Columbia, Canada I called our fearless leader to see if I could get picked up in Lynden. Our meeting place is the Bellingham Senior center, and since I live in the county it would give me a considerably shorter drive & it's on the way to our destination. It was agreed, they would meet me in Lynden on their way to the border. It was a very foggy drive up to the crossing.
18 of us piled out of the carpool cars, anxious to enjoy the day on the trail, the fog had diminished by the time we got to the park.
The hike today was Aldergrove park, we usually hike this in the fall and it is a great place to see the beginnings of fall color.




The trails meander through forests, marshes and fields.


Near the pond, I noticed this rock with a plaque on it. It recognizes the youth that worked together on the park rehabilitation project in 2002 - 2003.

There were a few ducks swimming away from us today, but I loved the reflection of the trees in this pond.

We stopped for a break to take the time to look at this rock, it had rock climbing bolts drilled into it.

I looked up the wall of the rock and caught a glimpse of blue sky!

We sauntered on enjoying the gentle rolling trail. 

This log was covered with mushrooms.

Time for lunch. 
The picture doesn't do the large tree in the center justice. It was really beautiful with the green field in front of it for contrast.

After lunch the sun came out even more. 
It was a pleasant day for us to be together in Oh, Canada ;-)

Whenever we do this hike we stop at Edaleen dairy for ice cream cones. 
This lovely lady was sitting by the door!

I'm glad I made the phone call, it was really nice to drive just a short distance home after the day's hike.
Endomondo stats:
Total miles hiked - 5.07 miles
maximum altitude - 294 feet
minimum altitude - 99 feet
total ascent - 375 feet
total descent - 399 feet


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.