Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Celebrating the Fourth of July

My husband and I had planned on biking the complete Centennial trail - 60 miles on the 4th of July. We've done the trail in sections before, but never the full distance. I was really looking forward to doing it, but sometimes plans go a different route. Our dog started not feeling well a few days ago, without going into too much detail, he had issues going on at both ends. I know TMI - yuck. I'm thinking the heat is getting to him a bit. We decided we should stay home, since it would be a long day alone for him if we did the trail, and this way we could keep an eye on him to see just how he's doing. 
Since my mind was set for a 60 mile bike ride, I decided to do it at home on our stationary bike. I'd only biked 50 miles or more 2 times before this, the first time was April, 4, 2010: 62.4 miles. The second time was August 22, 2010: 50.3 miles.
Moose (the dog) kept me company for awhile during my ride, he's that dark thing on the floor below my bike. Thankfully, he had a good day. Not so much the night, but that's the way it is for animals on the fourth of July isn't it. My husband had to sleep on the couch with Moose right next to him on the floor to keep him from whining and pacing from the fireworks going on around us in our area. The answer to your unasked question is: NO Moose is NOT allowed in our bedroom.

I took a BeetElite and gathered my magazines, music (playlist), all of my electrolytes: Nuun in my water, Salt Sticks, Shot Bloks and snacks all put together and hopped on the bike. I've had issues with cramping in the past, especially on long, hot workouts. Since I've started using Salt Sticks I've had less cramping during & especially at night after my events. Such a wonderful thing to find something that really helps. My plan was to ride for 2 hours take a break, and ride for 2 hours again for 3 sets, my goal was to ride the 60 miles in 6 hours. That would be about a 10 mph average. Our bike stops at 100 minutes so I kept a pad and pen ready to write down my stats whenever in timed out. Thank goodness for calculators.
Here's a breakdown of my day w/a few photos of me as I'm pedaling along. - 
@1 hr. I was at 10.9 miles.


@2 hrs. I was at 22.2 miles
The first two hour break, time for lunch! We don't have air conditioning in our house, so I was nice and warm and dripping. 😅

I reached the 30 mile mark or 1/2 way point in 2 hours and 45 minutes. If we'd biked the trail we would be looking for a nice cafe to eat our lunch at before returning to Nakashima barn. Since we've biked sections before, it was fun for me to picture in my mind just where I'd be on the trail.

@3 hrs. I was at 33.4 miles
I'm so glad I had some good tunes to listen to, it really helped my adrenaline on those tired moments.

@4 hrs.I was at 43.76 miles
My second two hour break, boy was it nice to walk around and give my legs another motion other than going round and round. When I was at about mile 48 I realized I would have been near the ArMar trailhead, we had biked 25 miles to there in June so it was fresh in my mind. At that time we did and out and back from Nakashima barn. I got very excited and realized I really was going to get my 60 miles done. It's interesting how just one thought can change your energy level.

@5 hrs. I was at 54:86 miles
When I had reached almost 59 miles by the 5 hour mark I knew I would finish in under 6 hours, so I decided to ride a little harder than I had, just to see what I had left in me. My average up to that point had been just under an 11 mph pace. I was pleased to do my last 5.14 miles in a 12:26 mph pace. 
@5:25:09 Mission complete: 60 miles!! I averaged 11 mph for the day. 
Sorry about all of the selfies, but a ride inside just doesn't have the views an outdoor ride has. I thought that by adding them in it would show the feelings and emotions of my journey. 

*We also had checked out Artist Point on Monday. They had just opened the gate a few days prior. Wow!

So many things to celebrate this week.

*On the celebrating note. I have another reason to celebrate. I've been having some foot issues for quite a long time now. I went to the Dr. today and found out that all I need is full foot orthotics. I've been wearing 3/4 length ones for years now, apparently they haven't been addressing what's been going on with the front of my foot. I was so relieved that this was an easy solution. Our minds can generate some unpleasant scenario's can't they.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.