Sunday, April 5, 2015

Cub/Smith Creek hike

We chose Cub Creek (also known as Smith creek) for our long weekend hike. I'm not sure how it became known as Cub creek, but that is what our Trailblazer group calls it. We started at the North Lake Whatcom trailhead. We picked Cub/Smith Creek because it is "up and down" ;-) and we wanted to hike a long way.
The trail winds in and out of forests and crosses logging roads. It also travels along a power line area. We saw more mountain bikers today than we did hikers.

Horsetails
Trillium
 We took a little detour from the main trail and enjoyed a nice view of Lake Whatcom.



Time to head back to the main trail.


The picture below is looking back from where we'd already walked. When I hiked this trail with the Senior Trailblazers in January, our destination was the lower knob (between the two forested sections in the photo below) and directly below the power lines. a distance of about 3 miles. We stopped there for lunch on that hike before returning to our cars. You can read about that day's hike HERE.


Today my husband and I passed the knob and continued on up the logging road. I have never hiked any farther on this particular hike and I was anxious to see just what was beyond the bend. My husband had tromped all over this area several years ago and he had just the spot picked out for us to eat lunch. We continued on until we had gone a little over 5 miles. We found a road that turned to the east and gave us the best view of Mt. Baker and the Twin Sisters. This was to be our lunch view.
If you click on the photo below you will see Mt. Baker on the left and the Twin Sisters on the right a little more clearly.


I was more than ready to eat. 




After lunch we hiked back down the road for a ways and then walked cross country a little as we made our way under the power lines, before we got back on the trail.
I really enjoyed this hike, and I was glad that we went a little farther "up" the hill.

Time to head back down the trail
Another great weekend trek. I hope you and yours had a wonderful day, we sure did!


Endomondo stats:
Total miles hiked - 11 miles
Minimum altitude - 352 feet
Maximum altitude - 2575 feet
 Total ascent - 2215 feet
Total descent - 2210 feet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.