Thursday, December 22, 2016

Stimpson Reserve Trailblazer hike

Our volunteer leader system seems to be working. Janet led 15 of us on the Stimpson Reserve trails today. 

It was dark and gloomy in the forest today, fitting since this is the week of the Winter Solstice

Janet lead us in a counterclockwise direction from the way we usually hike. My brain was discombobulated the whole time. We saw many mosses, and I did hear the scientific names for each of them but I couldn't tell you what they were now. 

The one in the photo below was interesting to me, the white specks looked like snow but it was just the way it grows.

Walking among the giants. 
 

We saw bits of snow in the ferns near the top that reminded us of our recent snowfall.

 I found this little sprig that was hanging on to it's leaves tightly, even though it was long past time for them to have flown in the fall winds. 

There are several footbridges on the trail and I always love to walk over them. 

Geneva Pond and the other boggy areas were still very much encased in ice. 



 I've been here many times and I enjoy it each and every time. 
We are lucky to have such a place set aside for us to enjoy.

 Garmin stats:
total miles hiked 4.7
minimum altitude - 556 feet
maximum altitude - 853 feet
total ascent - 728 feet
total descent - 682 feet




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.