Thursday, December 8, 2016

Fragrance Lake Trailblazer hike

Brrrrr, what else can I say about the weather for today's hike. I took this screenshot from The Weather channel app on my iPhone when I got to the Senior Center this morning. I was actually happy about the weather when I got to Bellingham. The wind was minimal compared to the North Whatcom county flow coming from the Frasier Valley in B.C. We've been getting buffeted by the N'east wind at our home, so I was glad we wouldn't be fighting the wind today. 
A bit of local weather trivia. There is a definite change in wind speed from Bellingham north. The Smith road seems to be the dividing line. It increases substantially as if a line was drawn across that part of the county.

Our hiking group is in a bit of a transition now, so each week we plan who will be the next week's hike leader. Today was my turn.
9 of us carpooled to the Larrabee State park/Lost Lake parking lot on south Chuckanut drive. It was nice to see the building decorated as we pulled in to the lot.

I had planned on doing an out and back route, but after some discussion we decided to do a loop. So after walking a short ways on the Interurban trail we connected with the Fragrance Lake trail. Everyone graciously posed for me before we headed up to the lake,
The brave cold weather hikers
and thanks to Joe I'm in one too!

We stopped at the viewpoint on our way up the hill, and saw just a few clouds in the sky. We're expecting a bit of snow turning to rain overnight. 

I always love the reflections at the lake and today didn't disappoint. 
So pretty.

The photo below shows our lunch view. I couldn't help thinking the white trees on the opposite shore should be called ghost trees. They were so white in their frosty coats.

We did see a bit of snow on the ground near the lake and on this poor bridge that got damaged from a tree fall.

Since it was so cold today we saw some spectacular, snow kissed logs, icicles, Hair & Needle ice. 

After lunch we walked the Fragrance lake road back to the parking lot and I'm glad we did because the waterfall was worth seeing.
https://youtu.be/ogn-y84Tg88


Sure enough as I'm writing this post I can hear the N'east wind howling outside. I'm thankful for the weather we had during our hike today. Such a nice day with these "Senior Trailblazers", as long as we didn't stand around too long we stayed pretty comfortable for such cold temps., even though my nose got very cold.

Just for fun what is your "Hiker Elf" name?

Till next week, goodbye from "Perky the sugarplum dancer" :-)

Endomondo stats:
total miles hiked - 6.2
minimum altitude- 174 feet
maximum altitude - 1162 feet
total ascent - 1257 feet
total descent - 127 feet



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.