Monday, March 5, 2018

Mon Oeuvre ~ Vintage Singer Sewing machine collection

I didn't start out with a plan of collecting Vintage Singer sewing machines, but they seem to be finding me.
We found my first machine "Grandma Ruth" (yes, they all need to have a name) while visiting an antique store on Whidbey Island.
1955 Singer 99k, 50,000 made. Clydebank, Scotland
The machine in the photo below (Betsy Ross) was found on a yard with a "free" sign on it. I cleaned it up and sprayed Rustoleum on the Aluminum rot areas. You can read more about her story HERE.
1951 Singer 301a, Anderson, South Carolina
We went on a couple day vacation for my birthday this year, and guess what found me at another Antique store. It was funny because my husband is the one that wants to collect them and have a Vintage sewing machine museum. Sounds crazy to me, so when we walked in to the shop, I said to him "no more Vintage sewing machines, I have 2 that's plenty for me", and then I was the one that spotted this "had to have" treasure. Oh well. we both were happy and it made us both laugh.
It was sitting on the floor all by itself, I swear it was glowing when I looked at it 😉. So yes, another Vintage machine "found" me!
I've never seen a hand crank sewing machine before, and the price was right - $58!
We bought it and I spent all that evening at the motel finding out all about her. I named her "Mon Joli" (my pretty). She came complete with case and key. I tested her out and she works perfectly - forward and backward!
1928 128k, 20, 000 made. Kilbowie Clydebank, Scotland


There is a site that you can look up the serial number to find the date made, the city it was made in and how many of that serial number were created if known: "http://ismacs.net".
 (International sewing machine collectors society).

I found this bit of info.: Singer Vibrating Shuttle models  & 128k Vibrating Shuttle machines online about my machine and machine similar to mine. 

I also found out about a Kindle book "The Sewing Machine" by Natalie Fergie, it tells of a strike that took place at the Scotland factory where two of my sewing machines were made. There is also a historical element to the book. Here is a quote from the Amazon Kindle site - "More than 100 years after his grandmother’s sewing machine was made, Fred discovers a treasure trove of documents. His family history is laid out before him in a patchwork of unfamiliar handwriting and colourful seams. He starts to unpick the secrets of four generations, one stitch at a time."

I have a couple of  projects I'm working on and then I'll be sewing my Farmer's Wife 1930's Sampler Quilt on my 1928 hand crank sewing machine.

I'm anxious to be sewing 
and reading! 
Happy me!

1 comment:

  1. I just finished The Sewing Machine too.
    I had that handcrank too, was gifted to me by a customer.
    Vintage sewing machines are tricksy...because they are so beautiful and amazingly cheap it is hard not to pick them up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.