Thursday, March 29, 2018

Cedar, Pine, Mud, Lost lakes and Raptor Ridge viewpoint hike

Yes, that title is a mouthful.
 We covered a lot of territory on this overcast and drizzly day.
We started at the Pine and Cedar lakes trailhead parking lot and made our way up to Cedar lake. 



Today's hike will be our last "long - up" before our April Super Spartan race. After this week we will begin a slow taper of distances and workouts until the event weekend. Our goal on these Thursday hikes has been to go long and hopefully finish with a good ascent total.
We then headed towards Pine lake.

We bumped into the Half-Fast Senior Trailblazers at Pine lake while they were stopped for their lunch break. I used to hike with them many moons ago. I started hiking with them in April 2011. It was fun to see some familiar faces still there in the group.We walked on down the trail and found a spot for "our" lunch break with a nice view of the lake and a bit out of the drizzle.

After lunch we hiked to where the trail intersects with the West Mud lake road. We walked the road to the Mud lake trail. On our way down the road I found a "Heart" rock.

I didn't get a photo of Mud lake on today's hike, but here's a photo of it from a past hike. When I read that days hike post I was surprised to read that I had found a "heart" rock on that hike too!

As I said in the beginning of this post, it was an overcast and drizzly day. Here's a photo of my husband down the road from me. Doesn't it look like a perfect day for a hike??!!

After enjoying the view at Mud lake we continued walking quite a ways down the West Mud lake road, we then turned onto another road (I'm not sure what road name is) until we found the East Burnout trail.

This trail connects with the East Lost lake Fisherman's trail. My husband is a great trail guide, he knows most of the little connector trails on Chuckanut mountain. The 4th and last lake we passed was Lost Lake.

After walking along the North Lost Lake trail for a ways we headed up the hill via switchbacks to Raptor Ridge.
 There was no view at Raptor Ridge as you can see.

We walked down the trail a ways and had a snack break and finished the rest of our hot cocoa. We sat in a rock cave of sorts. Too bad it has graffiti on it. It did shelter us from the rain while we ate though.

We then made our way back down to the Pine and Cedar lakes Trailhead. 
What a great day,!  Just what we wanted: A four lake tour, a viewpoint with no view and lots of miles with lots of ascent.

Garmin stats:
 Total miles hiked - 14.37
Total ascent - 3314 feet

Relive video of our route -

2 comments:

  1. It was great to run into you on the trail! And we talked about where you would be going after Pine Lake, and it wore me out just to think of it. The only real signs of spring I saw were the beginning skunk cabbage or, as Peggy calls them, swamp lanterns. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about you when we were coming down the trail on that last mile to the parking lot, hope it wasn’t too hard on you. So good to see you too!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.