Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Seattle Spartan Race 2018 results

We drove to Monroe, Washington Saturday for the "Seattle" Super Spartan race - it's advertised as  as 8+ miles, 24 - 29 obstacles.
I always get excited when I see the first sign approaching the event. The traffic was backed up at this point, it was slow going to the venue. Stop and go all the way. Quite a ways from the race site at the Meadowood Equestrian Center.

We found out later that the delay was because the field where we park was very wet from all of the rain we've had lately and it was causing some issues when they parked everyone. Leaving was another issue, lots of people stuck and had to be pushed or towed out. 
Great fun!

Since we were delayed so long in traffic we were lucky to be ready at our start time of 9:15am. Registration and bag check went quickly so there we were, ready for our first Spartan race of the year with 10 minutes to spare.
Here's the course map, with a list of the obstacles. The Blue line is the Super course, the Red line is the Sprint course and the Orange line is the kids course.

The course was very wet and muddy in places. We had several barbwire crawls and one was especially long and full of water. I loved it. I dressed correctly for the day. I have some Merino wool long-johns, which I wore under my clothing. I stayed comfortable most of the time, my hands only got cold after trying the rope climb. They quickly warmed up while I was doing my burpees for failing that obstacle. 
I did better in the Super this year compared to ones I've done in the past. I didn't have any difficulty with the Slip wall. I ran more that I have in any Spartan race I've ever done. Last year at this venue I did it in 6 hrs. and 12 minutes, this year I finished in 4 hrs. 25 minutes. Quite abit faster. The courses are pretty much the same distance from year to year,  but never the same route and the obstacles are typically in different places so it's hard to gauge an exact comparison, but this was substantial improvement for me. Besides improving in time, I was also able to throw my Spear straighter, I still missed but this was the best I've done so far. I also made it up the rope climb about 6 feet. The rope was really wet and slick, so I was pretty excited about my effort.
Here are some photos from the day, courtesy of my brother and my dad - Thank you for coming and encouraging us and "bonus" taking pictures.



I was very happy after the Hercules hoist. I got to help a woman who had never done it before, so that she wouldn't have to do burpees. I sat her down and showed her how to do it. No burpees for her!


Spear throw

My husband rarely misses his Spear throw. He helped me with some of my 30 penalty burpees.

We have a tire at the gym where we work out at, and I was pleasantly surprised that this tire was lighter than the one I flip at the gym. Up and over - twice!

A frame cargo climb

Atlas carry


Our "Official" Spartan photos. We didn't get any from other obstacles, probably because the weather wasn't great for photographing with big expensive cameras:



Sand bag carry


It's always wonderful when we get to the fire jump!

Proud of my efforts for the Super this year.

We drove home, in the rain - of course!

Total miles - 9.07
29 Obstacles counting the start wall
Ascent - 1175 feet

My husband did the Sprint the next day, about 4.4 miles and 23 obstacles. Since I was spectating Sunday I brought the proper foot wear for the venue -

The weather and the parking was better on Sunday. They opted to park us all along the roads, pick up trucks and 4 wheel drive vehicles were parked in the field. 

Bag check -in for his day 2

Some of the photos from his day:
The start wall

Hercules Hoist

I found a heart rock on the path near the Hercules Hoist!

Spear throw

The Bridge (he's at the top, getting ready to cross)

An "official" photo:

Finished!

*Our daughter and her husband did the Super on Saturday also, and then came back and did the Sprint on Sunday with their middle daughter. This was her first year to qualify for the "adult" race. While they were doing their "Sprint" I helped their youngest get to her "kids" race on time. Timing wise it turned out pretty good. I missed getting to watch my husband do his fire jump finish, but she finished her kids race just on time for us to walk over to the fire jump and watch her sister, mom and dad finish!

We came, and we Conquered. 
Aroo!
WE ARE SPARTANS!

2 comments:

  1. I am so incredibly impressed by your dedication to this adventure, KH. You are amazing. Congratulations to both of you for your accomplishments. Wow! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. All of those trail miles really paid off!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.