Thursday, June 7, 2018

South Fork aka 1000 puddles trail hike 2018

My husband and I have hiked this several times, and I'm always happy when we decide to do it again. As I stated in This post written in June of last year (2017), the 1000 puddles is a misnomer and an unfair name for this beautiful trail. I assume that the name could be fitting if it were hiked in the wet season or after a big rain, but as many times as we've hiked it I've never seen it live up to it's (old) name. I call it the South Fork trail instead, a much less judgmental name. The trail only had a few and I mean very small sections of mud, the rest was dry and very passable. However, there were a LOT of stinging nettles along the trail. My husband brought his trusty machete and whacked away as we walked along. 

Every once in awhile there was a section with less vegetation, but not much. Most of it was thickly lined with Stinging nettles and Salmon berry bushes.

More nettle whacking.



We enjoyed snacking on the Salmon berries along the trail.

Vine Maple "helicopters".


Each time we walk through the clearing at about the 2 mile mark, I am impressed with how much the trees are growing. It won't be long until it will be thick forest the entire trail.

We saw lots of Elk prints along with the horse tracks. There were lots of Elk trails crossing back and forth along the hiking trail.
Elk print on the left, Horse on the right


Cavanaugh Creek to be crossed.

We decided to hike straight after we got across the creek. In the past we took the left turn at the junction and had lunch at the picnic table at the top of the hill.
I always like the clearing in the photo below.

We chatted with some horse riders as we made our way along this "new" to us part of the trail. 

We stopped near this area of the trail for lunch before heading back. Such a pretty corridor.

Crossing Cavanaugh creek.




The last section of the trail stays near the bank on the South fork of the Nooksack.

Always a great place to hike - The South Fork trail!

Garmin stats:
total miles - 7.5 miles
total ascent - 571 feet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.