Thursday, May 19, 2016

Park day: Fairhaven, Boulevard, Padden Trailblazer hike

Today was my first hike back since the first week of April, wow has it really been that long since I've hiked with this group? Our group hiked from Fairhaven Park to Boulevard Park via the Interurban & South Bay trails. We had a small group of 8 today, I'm guessing because it was a bit damp outside. We were promised by "Joe" that the weather would get better and better as the day went on. He'd checked the radar and weather report before leaving home. I hate to say it but he was right. The drizzle slowed and we actually had a nice weather day for hiking.
Before we left the Senior Center, Pat our "fearless leader" showed us the trails we would take for today's hike.

The Rhododendron were beautiful at Fairhaven park for our start.

Our trail view before we headed on to the South Bay trail.

Taylor street docks

Bellingham bay
 



We stopped at the Woods coffee shop in Boulevard park for some coffee and treats, bonus! 
As we walked to the end of Boulevard park, someone noticed an Osprey on a piling. Sorry for the picture quality, but I take all of my photos with my cell phone.

The flowers along the trail were spectacular, here's just a few of my favorites ~
The California poppies were too cold to open for us, they'd shut their faces tight.

A volunteer Sweet Pea in the Lavender

A Fairhaven street side bouquet

Thanks to Pam for noticing the Iris in the photo below. Quite a different variety than what I'm familiar with. *Added note: it may be a "tradescantia (spiderwort)".

We had a short hike today because our annual Trailblazer (group 1 and group 2 combined) picnic was scheduled today as well. We jumped in our cars and headed over to Lake Padden for a great time together, eating potluck and sharing great memories with each other.
The sunny side of the shelter was definitely warmer!

Endomondo stats:
total miles hiked - 3.93
minimum altitude -73 feet
maximum altitude - 173 feet
total ascent - 171 feet
total descent - 164 feet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.