Friday, July 26, 2019

Backpacking trip: day four, Railroad camp to Schrieber meadow via the Scott Paul trail

Photo courtesy of USFS
Day four, I woke up and decided that I wasn't going to get up until I could put my face out of the sleeping bag without it being really cold. Finally I could see the sun hitting the tent and I felt a bit of warmth. I looked out the door of the tent, to this view!

Good morning world!

After we ate breakfast we got out our binoculars and watched several different climbing groups make their way down the mountain. I watched until my eyes got tired. Then we packed up to begin our journey on the Scott Paul trail.

Goodbye Railroad camp❤


The trail junction seemed a good place for a rest stop and to congratulate ourselves for staying and not heading out yesterday. The weather was fantastic for our last day on the trail.


So many flowers.

The creek crossing that usually has a swinging bridge, no more. Time to wade across.


A look back to where we'd just come from,

and a look towards where we needed to go.

A great view of the Black Buttes with Baker.

Stream crossing.


A walk along the spine.


More wonderful views.

Time to filter some nice cold drinking water.

Another stream crossing. 


I loved how the water was trickling off of this rock area.

A hiding Boletus mushroom.

What! Another heart rock!

The Scott Paul trail couldn't have been prettier.


A little green frog.

The last section of the trail flattens out to a nice cool fern garden, just lovely.


Of course, just before we walk out, one last heart rock. I think this trip was meant to be❤

We saw maybe a half dozen people before the Scott Paul junction, but after that we only passed by 4 people (one with a hula hoop), 1 dog, some Ptarmigan and 1 frog.

Garmin stats:
total miles - 7 miles
total ascent - 823 feet
total descent - 2287 feet

Trip summary:
total miles hiked - 28.47
total ascent - 6101 feet
total descent - 6095 feet

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful trip! I love that area, and you had perfect weather for it. I'm afraid my backpacking days are behind me, but the area you were in was made for such a trip. Thank you for sharing your journey with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re welcome, yes besides the one day we had spectacular weather in a place I love.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.