Thursday, May 28, 2020

Tommy Thompson Walkabout

We (my husband and I) are currently looking for fairly flat and not long adventures for our Thursday outings for a bit because.....
We had been training for our many Spartan races that we do during the Spring and Summer, but like many others' around the country and the world our events were cancelled/postponed due to the Covid-19 virus. We also had been training for a couple of other events namely the Whidbey Island Half Marathon and the NODM or North Olympic Discovery trail Marathon. The Half Marathon was postponed to September and our Marathon was changed to a Virtual event. We decided to go ahead and do the Marathon (we are walk/runners: walking 5 minutes/running 10 minutes throughout the distance), so have kept up our training. We are in the tapering down mode now so trying to keep our "road weary" training legs as fresh as they can be for the 7th of June.
So a nice walk on the Tommy Thompson trail on this wonderfully warm and sunny day was the perfect plan.
We've been here many times and I've blogged about it many times, so I tried to find things to look at that were a bit different than my usual focus.
Mount Baker in the distance.

The trail is paved the all the way to the trestle that crosses the water.

A nice "little" waterfall along the trail.

Totem Pole near the RV park.

Daisies❤

When we got to the trestle we were excited to see many Seals pop up around us. I didn't get very many good photos of them, but they were fun to watch.


Have I mentioned before that I LOVE this trail!

This sign is a tribute to the community for working together for the completion of the trail.

Lots of Eel grass was in the water below the trestle.

The cell phone photo below isn't very good quality. I tried to zoom in on this Eagle, hard to see but it's there.

I never tire of this view.

Very low tide today.

As we made our way back on the trestle we saw several Seals again, I paused to see if I could get a little better photo of one closer to us. I managed to get a couple of decent photos of this one.


Off the trestle and back on the jetty trail.

These two Seagulls looked as if they needed a rest in the sun, if you look close it looks like one is yawning.

Pacific Flyway information.

We spotted these Geese near where fresh water runs into the bay. They seemed to enjoy drinking the water there and eating the green seaweed? off the beach. There are several babies with them, again not the best quality photo. The babies sure were cute and fluffy.

My usual attire today each time we passed any people on the trail.

Stats:
5.7 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.