Saturday, July 27, 2024

Sauk mountain hike

 Friday (yesterday) was our son's 47th birthday, he invited us to hike Sauk mtn. for the day. I was excited to join him on a family hike. The last time I had hiked this trail was in 2016 with the Senior Trailblazers. You can read that post HERE.
It was a nice clear day when we began, it never got too hot or the bugs too bad as there was a nice gentle breeze blowing all day. I always love the view of the switchbacks from the parking lot. The road up wasn't too bad until just near the top. I was glad we have our high clearance truck for driving these kinds of roads now.

The flowers were still in bloom along the trail. I savored every view with hungry eyes. It's been awhile since I've hiked in the mountains.


View of the Skagit river below. We could even see out to the bay way in the distance.


Many butterflies as usual.


A grouse on a rock caught our dogs attention and then ours. As we watched the bird work it's way down the rock a couple of babies followed.

Looking up from the many switchbacks.

We found a few heart rocks on the trail.


Love the downhill view and watching the parking lot get smaller and farther away as we made our way up.

The parking lot is visible in the lower right at the bottom of the meadow.

The luxury of having others along on the hike means some photos of us๐Ÿ’“

The view from the top as we made our turn to the back side of the mountain. Then we were done with the many switchbacks. I had heard that the switchback had seriously deteriorated in the years since I'd hiked it, but I didn't think it was any worse than we I'd done it before, so that was nice to see.

We saw and heard a Marmot really close to the trail, our son managed to get a great zoomed in close up of it.

I took a video of the east view of the trail before we summited. There was very few snow patches before the summit, much different than the last trip I'd done. Our dog enjoyed rolling in the snow before we made our way up to the summit.

Summit views


Another video, this time looking west.

Our dog Scoutina's first summit. She struggles with the heat so we got her a Ruffwear cooling vest, we're hopeful that it will allow her to join us on more of our longer summer mountain hikes.

We casually ate our lunches and enjoyed the views. Of course we sang happy birthday at the top. A couple of scenic pics from the top.


After making our way down from the summit we saw another Marmot laying on a rock. I zoomed way in with my cell phone. It kindof worked.

A quick photo of the outhouse near the parking lot. I love the little A frame building. Thankfully not to smelly or dirty this year and a big deal there was toilet paper!

I made a collage of the 2016 hike and compared it to a collage from yesterday.

Two different weather days, two different body types since 8 years ago, but still a great experience. I'm thankful for the ability to be on my favorite places once again.

Trail rating: Moderate
Total miles hiked: 4.2
Total ascent: 1230 feet

A nice Happy Birthday summit for our son๐Ÿ’“

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.