Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Mon Oeuvre - Indigo Way Mystery Quilt progress: Completed!

Mon Oeuvre (the works of a painter, composer or author regarded collectively: "the complete Oeuvre of Mozart" a work of art, music or literature.: "an early Oeuvre" ORIGIN late 19th century.: FRENCH literally 'work' - Oxford Dictionary.) 

The last time I posted an update on my quilting progress was in April. You can see those individual blocks in THIS post.
After the individual blocks were made it was time to put them together in rows.

All of the rows put together left a prickly edge. 

These sides all needed to be trimmed off.

It looks much better after the trimming.

This quilt has two inner borders. It was a breezy day when I took this photo, I had to put some rocks on it to keep it from blowing away.

The final outer border sewn and attached.

I shopped for the batting, back and binding fabric and found what I thought would work with the front of the quilt.

After washing, starching and pressing the back fabric it was time cut it into three section and then to sew those together to make the back panel. 
Now time to make the quilt sandwich. I use spray adhesive to glue the back fabric to the batting (center layer of the sandwich), then the top of the quilt was glued to the other side of the batting. The adhesive spray keeps the fabric from moving when the QUILTING is done. I don't want to do the safety pins method. Too much work ugh. The glue washes out so it's not an issue. I use a diamond pattern for my quilting, since I do my own and don't have it professionally finished. It's a lot of wrangling to get it done but it works for me.


The binding is washed, starched and pressed. The fabric is cut into strips which are sewn diagonally together creating one long strip. It's then folded in half and pressed again. I wound it into a nice coil.

The binding is sewn by machine to the quilt sandwich with the raw edges together. The batting is trimmed to 1/4" along the edge of the quilt. Then it's time to fold over the binding and hand sew it to the back of the quilt.

Indigo way quilt: Completed!
Click or zoom in to see the photo larger.

Each quilt tells me it's own story. This quilt and it's colors were inspired by Bonnie Hunter's (Quiltville) trip to Vietnam and the red hat women of the Sapa mountain region. These women are known for their Indigo dyed fabrics. 

You can read about these women here: Indigo-Vietnam
Photo of a woman from the Sapa mountain region.

As I sewed the different fabrics I chose, especially as the binding was stitched I began to see our own area coming to life in my mind. Haida art! Haida (First nations from the Pacific Northwest) are known for their art, using specific shapes and colors. The waves of lines in the binding I chose keeps bringing to my mind the Haida people. I love that I'm now seeing a coastal native tribe's art in the finish of my quilt. This quilt is being gifted to my granddaughter Skylar.

An example of the Haida art.

Refrigerator magnet for the finished quilt. I've now completed 7 of these mystery quilts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.