Monday, February 17, 2020

Singer 66 Treadle sewing machine

My "Frolic" mystery quilt progress has slowed down a bit. Now that the mystery is over, I'm sewing at a "less frenzied" pace. Trying to find a balance between the all of the outdoor and indoor activities that I love to do.
Here's how "Frolic" looks today,
organized chaos.

Last week a new treadle machine complete with cabinet and irons found us. We weren't looking, but it seems 3 of the times we've purchased Vintage machines it's been in the month of February. Hmm...

The New Home cabinet and irons that we bought last year didn't have a machine attached. I had a Singer machine that could be switched out from a motor to a treadle easily, so we bought that cabinet. You can see photos of that machine and cabinet in this blog post HERE.
I wasn't too excited about that system after I had it functioning because the sewing machine was a smaller one than the area the machine was supposed to sit it. It wasn't a perfect fit, although my husband did his best to fix it so it wouldn't fall through. So it really just sat and didn't get used very much. Which leads me to the new set up.
We saw a lovely Singer 66 treadle all set up and just glowing at us as we stepped into a local antique shop. We bought it and then drove back the next day in our Van so we could transport it. We also brought down the New Home cabinet to see if we could get an offer on it. They were happy to take it and give us some dollars in our trade, so we were both happy.
Here's the machine we bought last week.

The decal work is a Red Eye

I looked up it's "born on" date, and found out that it's a Singer 66 model - Born on Feb. 5, 1924 in Elizabethport, New Jersey. Identifiable features for helping to date it is: it has a side clamping foot and a horizontal bobbin. The older 66-1 model has a back clamping foot.
It has been named "My Precious"

After putting a belt on it: cleaning, oiling and adjusting the tension it runs very smoothly.
And "Grandma Ruth" (my first Vintage purchase) has her motor back!
If you want to see my collection, you can see the photos and read about them HERE
*One other machine that isn't in that post is "Ward" as in Montgomery Ward, born sometime in the fifties. He’s a Montgomery Ward sewing machine. We found him last year on yet another window shopping day. He's a little hard to find info. on but we like him just the same❤

Yes, I think that 5 Vintage machines is plenty to own. My husband on the other hand would like to have a Vintage Sewing machine museum, I think.
Yikes!

2 comments:

  1. ooOOoo, absolutely my Preciousss. well done! I love my treadle, I have a 66 head from the late 40's with a drop in bobbin. And yes, anything can become an addiction, I know of people with 100's of them. But they were so Cheap! But I'm saving them from a landfill! But I'm going to fix them up for...insert person/group. A few in use is a treasure, a bunch of crap is a bunch of crap :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.