Friday, September 24, 2021

Cascade trail bike ride: Lyman to Concrete

Yesterday we decided to bike the Cascade trail from Lyman to Concrete for lunch.
My trusty steed ready to begin our ride.

We've walked, ran and biked on this trail many times. It's one of my favorites.

We were lucky enough to see the local Elk herd fairly close to the highway. The trail parallels hwy 20 for most of it's length from Sedro Woolley to Concrete. Sadly there was a dead Elk beside the road. The hazards of grazing near a highway.

The only place we had to detour the trail was near the Baker lake road. We had to go out on the hwy and cross a bridge before accessing the trail again.


Just as we entered Concrete via the trail a driver in a car waited for us to cross the road. Since we'd just entered Concrete by the trail I wasn't prepared to cross traffic right away. I got across the road O.K. but we had a slight uphill as soon as we crossed, I wasn't in the correct gear and my feet weren't in the pedal straps. Gravity won as I was trying to sort out getting my feet in the straps and shifting all at once on a hill. I toppled over onto the sidewalk and proceeded to get a cramp in my right calf. Nothing was damaged but my pride and a scrapped knee. Lesson learned, when a car driver waves me along I can say no thanks. I need time to assess what's in front of me. We ate lunch at 5 B's Bakery and enjoyed the view of Sauk mountain in the distance.


Back on the trail for our return trip.

The sun was going down as we journeyed along and it became quite bright for my eyes as we rode directly towards it. 
We stopped at the bridge both times we crossed it and enjoyed watching the fish that were spawning in the creek.

Fish spawning

As we neared Lyman we passed a farm that raises Bison.

What a great day!

A close up of my knee this morning. I had put antibiotic and a bandage on it overnight. It doesn't look too bad. My pride however will take a few more days to heal.

*I’ve also discovered that the news I’d been told about the blog not publishing to email feedburner recipients was wrong. Apparently, if you had subscribed to my blog through the email subscriber you are still receiving my new blog posts via email.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.