Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Wonderland trail 2019 Day one White River CG to Sunrise camp

Today was the day to begin our hike around Mount Rainier.

I awoke with butterflies in my stomach. Could I do it again? Time will tell..... for today and tomorrow and 11 more tomorrow's it will be one foot in front of the other until we are done. We began at noon in the White River campground, the trailhead was just across the road from our campsite. 

We began our journey hiking up to Sunrise camp amid blue skies and wildflowers.


An almost clear view of Mount Rainier.





Time to set up camp, filter water and eat dinner.

We walked to a spot near our camp to enjoy the sun a bit longer. I with my tea, and my husband with his coffee.


My husband walked around the area near our site after our "sun" time and noticed a big pile of bear poop just a few feet from our camp area. Nice! Our first night is to be spent where a bear likes to be. Oh well, all was well. We never saw a bear near our camp.

Before we went to bed in our tent we strolled down to Shadow lake. It was beautiful.


*Each night at camp in our tent before we fell asleep my husband read from the Patrick McManus book "The grasshopper trap" It was a wonderful routine each night. I mostly stayed awake through the chapters😉.
As I laid in my sleeping bag for the night I realized all was well, I am home❤

Relive video of our route:

Garmin stats:
3.81 miles
2014 feet ascent
85 feet descent
Elevation profile:


2 comments:

  1. a very weightless fairy on your shoulder here watching! I am going on a dinosaur dig today! When I signed up this spring I was asked my age. Hadn't given a thought to 'can I do it' until that point. Now I'm a bit apprehensive, can I? Of course we can. And even if we have to be dragged back from the trailside, we will know we went, unlike billions of others our age who just sit and watch. Love...s

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.