Friday, August 30, 2019

Wonderland trail 2019 Day three Mystic lake GC to Cataract Valley camp

This morning we had more fun with our group camp roomies. He decided to dump more food, "literally" from his pack. About a half dozen top Ramen packs minus the plastic wraps were dumped in a pile in the dirt. My husband told him that was unacceptable and that he needed to pick it up and put it in his trash bag. I won't tell you where he eventually put it but it wasn't in his "pack it out" trash bag. This really set a disturbance into my morning. Needless to say I was glad when they left camp, so we could enjoy our solitude. I felt badly for the young boy as the man had set an aggressive mileage trip for the boys' first backpacking adventure. I hope he survived and will find a love for hiking and backpacking into his adult life.
We stopped by Mystic lake to enjoy the view.



Looking back to the lake❤

Climbing up the saddle from Mystic lake I stopped and asked my husband to take photo of me.


More wildflowers.


Over the saddle to the meadow.

Views and wildflowers what could be better!



We stopped by the stream for a lunch break.



We arrived at Dick creek and it's rope climb, uneventful until I tripped on the rocks after the log bridge😏


Making our way down the Carbon river trail


and across the Suspension bridge.

Views from the bridge.




Time for my husband to cross, as the sign says it's a one at a time crossing.

This side of the river was so lush and green compared to the rocky hike down the other side. I felt like we had come into a fairy land. So beautiful!

It's a steep high step trail to Cataract Valley camp.



I was very happy to see this sign.

I giggled my way to sleep to the sounds of my husband reading from the Patrick McManus book "The grasshopper trap" & to the two very giggly young women in the site across from us.

Relive video of our route:

Garmin stats:
8.03 miles
1936 ascent
2887 descent
Elevation profile:

Trip summary:
21.02 - miles
5915 feet - ascent
5971 feet - descent
Elevation profile:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.