Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Wonderland trail 2019 Day seven Klapatche park camp to Devil's Dream camp

I was so happy to wake up to clear skies and views!
I liked the photo below because of the sun shining on the dew on the fir needles of the tree in the foreground.

A view of Rainier with Aurora lake. The lake is sure getting small. Such a contrast to when we did it first in 1975.

As we left our camp and got on the trail to St. Andrews park, we looked back to look at the meadow near the lake and the campground. We couldn't see any of this when we got into camp the night before.

Time to hike to St. Andrews park, through all of the greenery full of flowers.



Another fail with my camera but we loved looking at the bear through our binoculars. I tried to zoom in but it just didn't come out much larger or clearer. Four bears this trip!

If you click on the photo below you'll see that it is indeed keeping an eye on us.

This west side of Mount Rainier is so much rockier than the other sides.

Another photo of the bear, this time without the zoom. I looked back and saw that I could still see it. If you click on the picture to enlarge it can you see where it is?

St. Andrews park❤

On our way across the spine of the ridge we enjoyed the sun, the flowers and the views of the ridges in the distance.

A heart rock on the trail.


Mount Adams in the distance.


As we began our descent towards the south Puyallup river the vegetation got very thick, it was interesting to watch for my husband walking along in it.

In the photo below it's hard to see my husband on the trail, but if you click on the photo to enlarge it you'll see him.

The bridge that crosses the south Puyallup river.

We stopped at the south Puyallup camp for a lunch and rest break before heading up to Emerald Ridge. I was a little nervous as we ate, thinking about what a difficult hike it was for me last year. Our packs were full of wet clothes, tent, tarp etc. so our loads were much heavier. Near the top my husband stopped and took some of my pack weight out and put it in his pack so we could continue. I was really hoping this year wouldn't be such a test for me. Even though I was nervous I was so happy to see this sign and know that we were going there again and on such a beautiful day!

As we left the green forest the trail took a turn uphill and the trail was full of small and large rocks making it a little tricky in places.

I thought this tree with it's root hanging out in space was interesting. I don't think that tree will be there much longer.

The Puyallup glacier covered in orange debris.

A short sketchy area of the trail.

The trail keeps going up until you are at the "very green" of the Emerald ridge.


We leapfrogged with this ranger several times as we made our way through this section of the trail all the way to Longmire while he hiked and did his duties. Such a nice person. We really enjoyed our chats with him.


Ever upward....



We made it! This time I had no problem. My husband and I enjoyed our time walking through the magnificent views.







Savoring our moments on Emerald ridge❤


Several Marmots were active on Emerald ridge and were fun to watch.


Time for our long descent to the Tahoma creek suspension bridge. Today's hike would take us up and down three ridges.

Spine trail. I love them❤

On August 5, 2019 there was an outburst from the south Tahoma glacier and there was a debris flow down the creek. You can read more about that outburst HERE. I took a picture of where the debris flowed, you can see where it cut into the bank of the moraine in the photo below.

First view of the suspension bridge.


As I cross I like to stop and take photos and just enjoy the feeling of being suspended so high above the creek.


Tahoma creek.

My husband's turn, amid sun rays.

Another uphill climb to Indian Henry's.

Rainier with the Patrol cabin.

We stopped and filled our containers with water for the last part of our trek to Devil's Dream camp.

When we got to the camp my husband asked the people camping if there were any camp sites open, when we got to the second camp and he asked his question a woman called him out by name and said is that you? She recognized his voice after all of these years. Small world, he had coached her in gymnastics in the late 1970's. What fun, we had a great time catching up with her and her husband later at our camp. The reason he had been asking about the sites was because he was hoping that site #1 was open. We had stayed there the first time we went around in 1975. It was nice to stay in the same site where we'd been so many years ago and to have a fun reunion thrown in as well.

Relive video of our route:

Garmin stats:
11.75 miles
3442 feet ascent
3990 feet descent
Elevation profile:
(three ridges today)


Trip summary:
61.43 - miles
16, 657 - ascent
16, 281 - descent
Elevation profiles:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.