Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Hiking to Mordor aka Port Gamble trails

Where did we hike? In a wonderful network of trails with most of the names taken from the Lord of the Rings and Star Wars stories. Mordor was just one of the trails we hiked on, and where is this again? The Port Gamble Forest Heritage Park or as I found on Wikipedia😉 “In J.R.R. Tolkien’s fictional world of middle earth, Mordor is the realm and base of the arch villain Sauron. It was located in southeast of northwestern middle-earth, east of the great river Anduin. Mount Doom a volcano in Mordor was the goal of the Fellowship of the Ring in the quest to destroy the One Ring.” 


This trail system has a wonderful variety of ecosystems to walk through. We walked mostly through Fir, Cedar & Hemlock trees with fern undergrowth. At times it seemed we were in a rain forest with wonderful long strands of Goats beard and mosses hanging off the trees. There were a few open logged areas, some dirt road walking as well as trails in Alder groves alongside Holly bushes,  Salal, Huckleberries, Blackberries, Turkey tails and several varieties of mushrooms! My husband and I joined my brother and my dad for a day of exploring in another area.
My husband was the photographer for the day. He did a great job. Enjoy our day on the trail through “his” eyes for a change!







Yes, he found some heart rocks too❤️





“MORDOR”


Orange jelly fungus was growing on many of the fallen logs.


Alder forest






A photo of our photographer for the day.


Ripe & budding Huckleberries?


Golden leaves still hanging around.


I love this photo of me looking at my dad & my brother❤️.

Rain forest trees


Wildlife sighting!


Road walking


Walking along an Emerald lane💚





Coral mushrooms


We almost lost Hope, but we found it along the road. You never know what you’ll on a day’s hike.




The mountain bikers use these trails as well, this section was full of jumps and crazy turns.






Finally we were at the “Stump” trail and our last section.


Now that was a fun day in a new area, even “MORDOR” wasn’t too daunting! 
Relive video of our route: 

Garmin stats:
Total miles hiked - 7.63
Total ascent - 833

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.