Monday, December 23, 2019

Mon Oeuvre - Frolic Mystery Quilt progress 4

In this week's clue for Bonnie Hunter's "Quiltville Winter Mystery" Quilt she wrote: "Curiouser and curiouser!" Cried Alice (she was so much surprised, that for the moment she quite forgot how to speak good English." - Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass. 

I think she did a good job of having us all scratching our heads wondering just where on earth she's going with this clue.
Photo credit: Bonnie Hunter (Quiltville)

We got to put together little kits of units. 
Here are some of my progress photos:
Working on sewing my chains together.

First kits begun.

Trying to have an "organized" assembly line going and holding my breath as these were being cut, hoping I had enough fabric to finish it. After a few of my units had been cut I began to over think her instructions, by my calculations (she doesn't tell us how many strips to cut to get the number of units for the clue. That's for us to figure out on our own). I was going to be very close to the end of one of my blues. I panicked and went out and got a couple of fat quarters, just in case I was short. Of course the store no longer had my blue fabric, so I had to substitute a new blue😥, which completely discombobulated me. This set up a whole nother stress level for me since I'm not doing this quilt "scrappy". How on earth was I going to fit the new material into an "organized" entry into these units when I have no idea how they'll fit into the final quilt pattern. 😧.


Sure enough I was wrong, I had just enough to finish with a bit left over. I also was going to be close to the end on my Aqua fabric, I'm glad I hadn't over worried about that as well. My head probably would've popped off.
This is how close I came to the end of those two fabrics for this clue.
Yikes!!
What did I learn through this week's clue?
Don't overthink the process
Don't panic
TRUST the instructions
Whew.... and now I have some bonus fat quarters for another project. So in the long run good for me!

Clue four

Past progress:
Clue one

Clue two

Clue three

4 comments:

  1. I haven't heard anything about the blues, but this is the end of our aqua use...except the odd number of sets might mean we need a few more inches ;) My aqua is 30's yellow. I wonder how many people just rushed through and sewed those long ones together too? I've learned to read, read, and read the clue again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad I didn’t sew any of the long ones together, I learned to read & re-read the instructions the hard way with the first mystery quilt I followed. I have plenty of my dark blue left, Just the light blue ran out. I only cut a few strips along at a time, to make sure I don’t cut too many. There’s definitely a learning curve to her mystery quilts.

      Delete
  2. and... because I'm working with really scrappy I cut a test strip out of adding machine tape paper. Minimum of 17" strips for each set. I sewed a couple of small bits together to make the whole length for some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve tried, but I just can’t do scrappy. I’m too OCD about where things are as I make my quilts.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.