Monday, October 1, 2018

Mon Oeuvre ~ Farmer's Wife 1930's Sampler Quilt progress: Block #5 Anne

It's been awhile since I've looked at the Farmer's Wife 1930's Sampler Quilt I'm doing, May, to be exact. Time sure flies. It was fun to sew with my 1928 Vintage handcrank Singer again. This is the machine that I've designated to use for this quilt.

Anyway I looked and saw that I was on block #5 "Anne". I printed out the foundation paper piecing (FPP) pdf templates and the Gnome Angel tutorial. I then chose the fabrics and began cutting and attempting to FPP according to the piecing template. I ripped out my stitches a few times as I saw that I wasn't getting the pattern to look the same as the finished block in the book, but I just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I thought, I'll just do it this way and at least it will be done but my brain wasn't satisfied with it so I decided to do some studying. I remembered that on the previous blocks I'd  had difficulty with the "mirror image" concept that goes with foundation paper piecing, so I studied the tutorials and info. yet again. I gave it another try and remembered how to do it. after I sewed my fabric onto the paper, trimmed and flipped it horizontally, each "triangle
 wedge template did match the finished block in the book!
The photo below shows my "take two" version. The pattern is correct in this one. Tada!!

The photo below shows my "take one" version. As you can see the "pinwheel" in the center is different from the second version. I also had to sew around the squares in this version as the seams wanted to come apart.

I didn't want to do a "take two" as the first one was so trying for me, but I'm glad I studied the technique and figured it out. I'm very pleased with my "take two" version!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.