Thursday, January 23, 2020

Rosario/Bowman Bay trails hike

We woke to pouring rain on our roof. Where to go for our hike today?
My wise husband settled on the Fidalgo Island trails near Anacortes for a "hopefully" drier day.
Here's a map of the trails in that area from the Deception State park information brochure.

We did stay dry today, but it wasn't very bright outside as we made our way around Rosario Head.



After going around Rosario Head, about a 1/2 mile distance we headed towards Bowman Bay.
Cormorant were on a rocky perch in the water.

I found a couple of "vaguely" shaped Heart Rocks.


Madrona along the trail.

We passed the shelters made by the Civilian Conservation Corps aka CCC years ago. Note the large Douglas Fir tree beside the shelter.

I looked inside and noticed that all of the shelters had brand new picnic tables in them. Wow!

Making our way towards the observation pier.

Looking out at Bowman Bay.

Too bad, no walking on it today.

More Madrona trees.

A small tree had fallen over the trail that we wanted to go on to continue on. My husband took our his trusty hand saw and took care of it.


My proof I was on the hike photo:

As we walked around Lottie Point we explored on some side trails to enjoy the views and then we made our way to Lighthouse Point.
Looking out towards the Deception Pass bridge and the very green water. Today was interesting for taking photos, depending on which way the camera was pointing it either looked very green or very grey and drab.

As we walked around the corner note the water color as I was saying in my previous comment. Now it's looking very grey. We spied two birds on a rock, that we identified as Harlequin Ducks.

The two became four. What a treat, wish I'd had my good camera with me, but at least I got some pictures.



As we continued on we got some great views of the little coves and rock outcroppings along the shore.

We chose a spot to sit for lunch,

and enjoyed our view looking towards West beach and "not so enjoying" the ever-present drone of the jets flying in and out of the Whidbey Naval station.

I love this lichen.

As we were making our way back to Bowman Bay there was a large puddle in the trail, I couldn't help but make a diversion channel. My husband had kept hiking and came back wondering what was keeping me for so long. He saw what I was doing and joined in and by the time we left, the puddle had nearly completely drained. We both did some good trail work today!

We did a short beach hike before heading back to our car at Rosario beach.

Garmin stats:
total miles hiked - 5.37
total ascent - 1010 feet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.