Saturday, August 29, 2020

PCT Section H Day four, FS road 23 to Snowgrass flats

After a night of hard rain, we set out on the trail. The weather stayed drizzly off and on for most of the day. I was thankful we were hiking through the forest so we didn't miss many views.
Before my husband put on his pack he spotted this little fellow trying to hitch a ride.

My pack cover was on for the drizzle

Rain drops on the lupine leaves❤

Indian paintbrush

This plaque was nice to come along on the trail.

We came to the Potato hill trail info. sign at a road used by the Yakima reservation.

It was sad to see so many of the signs in disrepair.

We crossed the road to follow the PCT. 


The drizzly weather kept the dust down. On our previous day's hike we had a constant dust cloud around us.

PCTree😉

A chance to refill our water bottles

Sound of music meadow moment in the rain.

We passed through an area loaded with Blueberry bushes. The berries were mostly green. In a few weeks there are going to be some very happy bears there.

We passed several ponds *with mosquitoes through this part.


A nicely sized fallen tree to step over,

More rain meant a rain jacket added to my attire. A photo stop at the Goat Rock wilderness sign. We were now out of the Mount Adams wilderness area.

We passed a large Coral mushroom. I put my foot next to it for scale.

Coleman Weedpatch sign

PCT emblem

We found a camp just beyond this small lake. We used this lake as our water source. I'm so glad we have our UV water filter and we usually boil our water too unless it comes from a spring.

Always the first camp duty for me: send out the Spot messenger "we're O.K. and at tonight's camp" message. It contains a Google earth link, so the recipients can see exactly where we are. They can also text a reply. *Sadly the email recipients cannot reply.

We got our sleeping areas sorted out and set up.

My daughter and I walked the short distance back to the lake to see how pretty it was. We noticed a lot of animal prints along the shore.

Our view up from near our tent. Lots of Goatsbeard hanging off of the trees. The wind was blowing and it rained most of the night. It was a pretty rough night for all of us. I don't think any of us got much sleep.


Relive video of our route:
The relive video show a great view of Potato hill.
https://youtu.be/L31_DtInpmw

Garmin stats:
total miles hiked - 9.35
total ascent - 1614 feet
total descent - 719 feet
Elevation profile -

to be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.