Tuesday, August 4, 2020

PCT Section i Day six, White pass to Snoqualmie pass

I was looking forward to a shorter hike today, my feet were a bit tired from all of the downhill and many miles of the day before. 
Morning routine: I bag the sleeping bags, deflate the sleeping pads and pillows, roll them up and bag them while my husband cooks breakfast. We then organize our pack items and put them back in the pack in some kind of organized logical fashion. I think I packed my pack differently every morning.

After crossing the road at Tacoma pass we were on our way.


Heart rock❤ (a bit of a stretch, but I'm claiming it as heart shaped)

We passed a section that had all of these silver maple leaves all over the ground. We decided the snows must have come before they could totally decompose, whatever the reason it was something to see.


Large mushrooms  and Bunch-berry plants were plentiful along the trail also

Our faithful sign❤

This old logging stump brought many logging facts and stories from my husband during this section. I enjoyed listening to his tales. He was a logger for a short time in his youth. Apparently this logging was a more modern one as there were no springboard notches on it. If you're curious about early logging verbiage I found THIS great article complete with photos! 

We passed many Coral-root Orchids.

Water filling break

Frog on the trail!

Huge Ant hill

Lunch break with a squirrel 

Out of the forest and back into the land of views! I love the high country❤

As we made our way up the ridge we heard a roar of noise and we looked up to see two military jets flying VERY LOW over our heads VERY CLOSE together. WOW!!! Crazy timing but what a thrill. I'm sure they could see my eyeballs popping out of my head they were so close. 
YIKES!!!

After that excitement we made our way down the trail once again.

A strange sign to see out in the wilderness, so far away from everything and no we did not see any workers riding on motorcycles.

Another gift a wildflowers mixed in with the ferns beside the trail.

We then came into Bear-grass country. These beautiful light and airy flowers were a sight to see as we made our way back into the forest.



I think my husband and I both agree that we loved seeing the Bear-grass blossoms each time we saw one. We stopped and admired them often.

We knew we should be getting near water soon, so I got out my Guthook app and sure enough we were close. We just had to walk through this old logging/slash burn area and we would be there.

Water! 
Our most prized possession❤

The first thing I would do at camp was to send out our Spot Messenger "check in" message. I had it set up to auto send: "We're O.K. and at tonight's camp." After it would confirm that it had been sent, I would help with the tent set up etc. *Note the trail going up into the forest just beyond me, that would be our starting spot in the morning. Our camp was straight across the trail you can just see it in the distance.

Evening "at camp" routine: We would put up the tent. I would then blow up the sleeping pads and pillows, get out the sleeping bags and clothes bags while my husband cooked the dinner.
Camp was at a spot about a 1/2 mile from where we got water. An old logging road gave us lots of room to spread out and enjoy the evening sun.

Relive video of our route:

Garmin stats: 
total miles - 6.38
total ascent - 1919
total descent - 938 feet

to be continued......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.