Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Ptarmigan Ridge to the Portals hike

Today I did a solo hike to the Portals. It wasn't particularly the goal, I had a turn around time in mind and thought I'd see how far I would get. The smoke was back in the air, mainly at the high elevations. It was interesting how the colors of the sky in the photos looked different, depending on which way I was taking the photo. Some of the photos had a very dingy looking sky and others looked much clearer.
As I said I marched along and made it to the Portals by my turn around time. I hope you enjoy the photos of my day.
The sun through a smokey sky at the start of the day. looking back towards the Artist point parking lot.

Looking across the valley at Shuksan.

Looking at the trail before me.

A hint of fall color on the bushes.

Finding the trail in the rocky sections.



Looking towards my destination & the Coleman Pinnacle on the right.

Goat lake.

First look at the Portals


I ate half of my lunch at the Camp Kiser area, before heading up the last section of the trail.

A nice wind break camp area at the top of the hill.



Baker lake from the top of the hill.

A snow field walk up to the Portals, with Mount Baker looming ahead.

Mount Baker

The Portals

The white dots or patches in the dirt area below is a herd of Goats, visible in the distance but not good with my camera. 

I ate the other half of my lunch before heading back down the trail.
Marmots on a side hill spotted as I made my way back towards Goat lake.

The Marmots a little closer in the photo.

The trail ever before me.


The last stretch towards the Artist point parking lot.

One more look at Shuksan, still a bit of smoke in the air.

*Google photos made a panorama of two photos zipped together❤

I thoroughly enjoyed "my" day in the high country.
Garmin stats:
Total miles -11.3
total ascent - 2349 feet
total descent - 2297 feet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.