Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Seattle Spartan Beast 2018

We had one week after our Wonderland trail trip to recover. Our Seattle Beast/Sprint was the following weekend. Yikes! I think we scheduled things a bit too close together.
Oh well, time to Spartan up!
My legs were very tired after our backpacking trip, they wanted to cramp up most everyday & night. I still had a bit of a cold. I was a bit worried about how I would do in the Beast. We went on short walks everyday to keep my legs moving and I did what I needed to do to get ready for Saturday.

Saturday's Beast (12+ miles, 32 obstacles) was a mental and physical test for me (aren't they all - ha!). I managed to finish walking upright, but boy was I tired. Again, many thanks to my husband who helped me to fight the negative thoughts in my head as well as helping me physically all day with the obstacles.
This hashtag photo op was set up at the event, everyone was asking "why the clock"? Turns out it's to copy the clock at Pike's street market. Who knew....

Our course map and obstacle list. I'm learning to carry less water on the course as they have aid stations here and there. This year they had 9 water stations, that helped to keep my pack a bit lighter.

Our official Spartan pictures.
This year we had a river crawl, I'm glad the rocks were round they were hard enough on my knees. Ouch!


Every step was a mental focus for me Saturday. I saw this quote by Howie Stern and thought it fit my day. "She's hit that point where you look deep within to see what it is that makes you tick. That dark recess that only you can tap into to answer the simplest of questions on a primal level...It's all mental, as the body will follow where the mind chooses to go."



Finished!

A hard earned Beast medal. For me Saturday’s Beast was a “just try to get through it & finish” effort.

Seattle Beast Garmin stats:
total miles - 12.7 miles
total ascent - 1965 feet

Feeling much better the next day as a spectator, while my husband did his day 2 Sprint (3+ miles, 20 obstacles).



We are Spartans - Arooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.