Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Wonderland trail: Day 10 of 12

August 30, day 10
Maple creek to Indian Bar


They were doing trail work at Box canyon so we had a detour,

through a tunnel!


Box Canyon


There is a tourist view parking area here with a proper bathroom. We took advantage of our stop and also dumped off some more trash from our packs. Time to cross the road again and begin our climb to Indian bar. This is one of my favorite places on the trail. When we went around with our kids we spent two sunny blissful days there.


Another fine bridge.

Big trees in this forest.

Rain diamonds on the leaves.

Making our way up Cowlitz divide, it is so much overgrown now compared to when I had hiked it last. Hardly any openings in the trees for a valley view. Not that we would have seen them today, the clouds were low.

Chicken of the Woods. I would have given my eye teeth for a cast iron skillet and some butter. Yummy!


We hiked off and on today with our trail friend.



We hiked up to a knoll that we thought was the top, but we were wrong. We hiked ever upward again to the correct "top knoll". I had my memory photo taken up here. This is a special spot for me, this was my and our kids “Sound of music” spot on a sunny day so many years ago. Not the same in the fog. Being on top of the world on a sunny day leaves a better impression. 
Today it was a day of memories past ❤

and making memories present ❤. 
Thank you Ken for being there and taking our photo at such a special place in our hearts.

Heading down to Indian bar, my legs were about done. Thankful again for that little mustard bottle.

Pasque flowers

Our first sighting of the Indian Bar shelter. This was our two day camp with the kids.


Here's a photo of what the shelter looked like in 1975. 
A much drier year.

The bridge crossing to the camp sites. 

The view from the bridge.
Looking off the left side -

Looking off the right side -


Ohanapecosh cirque from our camp.

The shelter from our camp.

It was a long physically/emotionally tiring day for me filled with sweet memories.
It was a tight fit for our tent and a little slanted, but it worked. 
Again I am going to bed tired and cold.

Relive video of our route:

Garmin stats:
total miles hiked - 10.81
total ascent - 3990
total descent - 2270

Day 11 to be continued

2 comments:

  1. I'm so enjoying your trip. I would be so tired by now, but you're young and resilient. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Ha! Younger than you, but for the first time I think I was feeling my age on those long days. I also started getting a head cold the last few days, I know that it affected my energy level.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.