Saturday, September 8, 2018

Wonderland trail: Day 7 of 12

August 27, day 7
Klapatche park to Devil's dream
We woke to a little blue in the sky, I hurried down to try to get a view of Rainier that I knew was there on clear days. I lucked out and got a descent photo.

It rained hard most of the night, thankfully we stayed dry inside of our tent, but we could feel water underneath of us kind of like a waterbed effect. During the night my husband got up and dug a drain, which helped quite a bit. When we lifted our tent from the ground cover we discovered a small lake!

By the time we were packed up and ready for the day's hike the fog and chill had returned.




St. Andrews lake.

Heart rock on the trail.

We took a moment to enjoy some solar heat and another peek at the mountain as the fog moved in and out.


No bear sightings for us, but we did see this large scat with a very blue tinge full of blueberries just past St. Andrews lake.

Looking up to where we will be going.

Another brief warm, spell.

The rain and dew left a pretty impression on the foliage.



We crossed the South Puyallup river bridge.

A view from the bridge.

Time for our climb up to Emerald ridge.

The trail was rocky and steep,

but maybe to encourage me? I spied a heart rock.

Our first view of the Tahoma glacier.

As we were nearing the top of the ridge, my husband realized that I was running out of gas. The climb had been particularly hard for me. He suggested we bail on our trip and walk out the old West side road. I didn't want to do that, so he took the wet tent, rain fly and tarp from my pack to lighten my load. I am forever indebted to him. His pack was already massively heavy and he graciously without complaining carried my load. ❤

After some of the weight was taken from my pack, I was able to continue.
Another view of the Tahoma glacier.

Emerald Ridge ❤
So many emotions, so many memories.



Marmot

After we hiked down the other side of the ridge we came to the Tahoma creek suspension bridge. It's longer and higher that the Carbon river suspension bridge, but it was very solid. I enjoyed my walk across it.


I stopped in the middle and took a photo of what was below

and in front of me.

I've walked across the old suspension bridge 3 other times, here's a photo of me crossing in 1982. Our wide sleeping bags would hit the cables as we went across. A bit unnerving.

Video of my husband walking across the Tahoma creek suspension bridge.




The last time I went through Indian Henry's, the mosquitoes were so bad we were constantly slapping at them as we walked through the meadow.

We had heard that there was no good water near the Devil's Dream camp, so we filled up on water at a creek in Indian Henry's meadow.


A view of Rainier and the Ranger's cabin. 


Our camp at Devil's Dream.

Relive video of our route:

Garmin stats:
total miles hiked - 11.74
total ascent - 3346 feet
total descent - 4350 feet

Day 8 to be continued

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You are definitely a superwoman! Enjoying this trip from my easy chair. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad you’re enjoying it. That was a hard day.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.