Thursday, September 6, 2018

Wonderland trail: Day 5 of 12

August 25, day 5
Mowich lake to Golden lakes.
The clouds that moved in while we were at Dick creek stayed with us. It was cold when we left Mowich lake.

We had a couple of trees to climb over on this section of the trail.


We were now on the part of the Wonderland trail that I haven't seen for 30 years. The areas around Sunrise and Mowich, we'd done on our Northern loop and Mother mountain loop trips. My emotions were high as we headed down to the Mowich river camp & crossing.

The Mowich river bridge was one of the new ones added. I was glad this one was here too.

Mowich river camp shelter.

We picked our way through the river rock to the next bridge. Can you see the trail or the cairns?

Hand rails are a nice thing.

Old log boardwalk.

Our second log to climb over.

A very huge mushroom.


I put my boot by it for scale.

Quite the rocky crossing.

Looking down from the rocky trail.

Then we were following a blueberry heaven section of the trail.




One of the ponds at Golden lakes, by the time we got here it was raining.

Golden lakes, Sunset park ranger cabin.

All tucked away from the weather for the night, Golden lakes wasn't anything like I remembered. It's grown up quite a bit. I remember it being much more open, but a sunny sky would probably help with that impression.

Relive video of our route:

Garmin stats:
total miles hiked - 11.25
total ascent - 2477 feet
total descent - 2969 feet

Day 6 to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.