Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Wonderland trail: Day 11 of 12

August 31, day 11
Indian bar to Summerland
We woke to fog and cold again, we made our way through the small valley to begin our climb up. I was starting to feel congested like I was getting a cold. It was affecting my energy on the long up hills.




Looking back to Indian bar and Ohanapecosh cirque.

As we climbed the fog got thicker.



An encouraging heart rock on the trail.


Alpine flowers interspersed between short snow field crossings,






 

Low visibility heading towards Panhandle gap, the highest point on the Wonderland trail.




and another encouraging heart rock on the trail.

I brought my Yaktrax for the snow, but never had to use them. The snow was a little crusty in places but we could kick step them deeper if we needed better footing.
On our way to Panhandle gap.



I was surprised when my husband told me we had gone over Panhandle gap already. I was looking for a keyhole crossing. We'd always done it with more snow on the ground, it was very unfamiliar looking with just rocks along the trail.

Looking down towards Summerland, the last camp on our trek.




Even a heart impression on a rock.

Frying pan creek crossing


Down in the lower left of the photo below you can see where the old bridge ended up.

Summerland ❤ and sunshine!

A friendly Marmot welcoming committee.

We were over joyed with the sunshine, as soon as we got to camp we got out our wet things and attempted to dry them out.


It didn't last long, the fog rolled back in, so back in the bags they go. We did get one last look at Rainier that night. We found out from Ken, that he got a later start from Indian bar than us and got the luck of seeing Goats with babies close up on his journey up the hill!

Relive video of our route:

Garmin stats:
total miles hiked - 5.31
total ascent - 2054 feet
total descent - 1706

Day 12 to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.