Friday, September 7, 2018

Wonderland trail: Day 6 of 12

August 26, day 6
Golden lakes to Klapatche park
Still drizzling and a bit chilly for our morning start.

This old sign was all bleached out, but we could still read it.

Bog board trail leading out of Golden lakes.



As we headed into the Silver forest, we were reminiscing about what it looked like so many years ago. We had seen a big bear, here's the photo from 1975.

The area was much greener this trip.


We didn't see any bears this time. We sat with our packs off and took some time to just remember the past times here and to soak in being there again.



Many of the bridges on the West side are in disrepair.

We hiked a little farther down the hill and had our lunch.

As we were eating a woman walked up and we began to chat. We found out that it was Anne Elizabeth O'Regan. She graciously let me photograph her, she told us her tales on completing the Pacific Crest trail and other astounding life experiences. Please check out her book "Tamed" HERE. Such a nice person.

After lunch we packed up and headed down the trail where we found a log that my husband was able to climb over, but I had to crawl under.

We came to the North Puyallup camp and noticed on the sign that the group camp was across the river, not only that but the toilet was across the river as well. How many people do you think are going to go across a bridge quite a ways away to go to the bathroom. I think not many. I'm glad we weren't camping there.

The stone blocks left from when the West side road was still open. 

North Puyallup bridge

Looking at the water near the bridge.


A friendly little log bridge.

We headed up the hillside to Klapatche park on an overgrown brushy trail that had some very narrow and sketchy sections to go through. Meanwhile it was raining and the brush was full of water, we had some rain gear and rain ponchos on so we came out of it pretty well.

My husband said this up is relentless, I agree.

By the time we got to Klapatche park it was foggy, wet and cold.

Aurora lake with hardly any water in it.


The only available campsite was in the open with no tree cover, so we knocked on a tent in another site and asked if we could put up our tent at her site since she had more trees at her site. When we got there I was so cold I couldn't hardly unbuckle my waist belt on my pack. We hurried to get our tent and tarp up. My husband told me he would get the rest done and for me to go to the outhouse (the only dry place) and get into dry warm clothes, I again had difficulty with my fingers since they were so cold. I had to really work to untie my boot laces.When I got back he had hot food ready. we ate and hunkered down in our tent hoping to stay dry for the night.

Relive video of our route:

Garmin stats:
total miles hiked - 9.06
total ascent - 2448 feet
total descent - 1877 feet

Day 7 to be continued

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like an ordeal. I know some people who also complained about the relentless up at that point of the trail. Glad you were able to get warm finally.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I welcome your comments.